LOOK at ME 2

Saturday, March 3, 2012

free"ME"

I have grown tired of labels. I cringe each time I fill out an application and have to check myself into a little box. Black, female, single mother, student, employee, minority...a statistic and number in someone's assessment of humanity. Someone trying to determine how my life will most likely turn out based on their numbers. I am not a number. I am more than my social security (number), driver's license (number), student id (number), registration (number), my age (number), birth date (numbers), employee id (number), license plate (number)...etc...jeez..can I identify myself in some other way rather than reciting a series of numbers? Is their some other method that can be implemented to determine I am...me. Not according to the world; you're a number. Regardless of what you do a number is assigned to you; you're the 1st to do this or the 1 of 20 to do that.

I know there are many Tiffani's...but none of them are me and I am none of them. Tiffani is not who I am...it's what my mother named me but it does not define me. My job title does not define me. My calling myself a disciple or christian does not define me. My being a mother does not define me. I am a sister, daughter, cousin, a friend...still none of these define me either. No more than any of what people call you - define you. These are the roles I have here on earth and they grow every day...develop into more than the labels themselves are able to convey. So, who am I?
I am a divine creation. You are a divine creation. We were made in the likeness of God and we cannot define Him - therefore are also unable to define ourselves.

This very basic truth does not, however, discourage us from trying! If someone asked you who you are or asked you to describe yourself...how many of us would begin with our job but they aren't who we are (especially when most of HATe our jobs)? Do we know honestly who we are? I am --- who I am...one day I may be the lady that gives you a ride to work, the next maybe I'm the one who smiled at you while you were sitting at the bus stop, or maybe I was the lady who beat you to that parking spot...it changes. Who I am...as far as what could possibly serve as some sort of a definition, changes. Depends on the day, hour, and even the minute. There are things that are essential to my character, things that seem to always stay with me regardless of the situation that I may offer as a description of myself but still -they are not definitions but merely adjectives. I have decided to stop trying to fit into some category or attain some "elite label" but rather simply BE. Free yourself of what other people may say you should be and just be you. A constant, ever-evolving you because that is what God designed. Jesus did not speak as anyone before Him spoke, an original. You too..are an original as am I. If we spend our lives trying to reach societies standard of excellence...we'll miss God's intent for our existence. He does not care about what society thinks of you or who this world says you should be and do.

Judges 6:12 When the angel of the LORD appeared to Gideon, he said, "The LoRD is with you, mighty warrior."....6:14-16 The LORD turned to him and said, "Go in the strength you have and save Israel out of Midian's hand. Am I not sending you?" Pardon me, my lord, " Gideon replied, "but how can I save Israel? My clan is the weakest in Manasseh, and I am the least in my family." the LORD answered, " I will be with you, and you will strike down all the Midianites, leaving none alive."

Gideon was the weakest person on the smallest family in Israel and when the LORD spoke to him..he called him warrior. So, what is God calling you? Is he calling you poor? Middle class? Minority? Stupid? Ignorant? Remedial? Lazy? Shiftless (old school)? Ex-convict? Thug? Hood? Loose? Easy? Addict? Drunk? Coke-head? What is God calling you? Stop letting the world's depiction of you DEFINE you. It's time to free yourself. The only way to do this, the ONLY way, is by getting into the word of GOD and studying out what He calls you. The television preacher or the pastor at your church cannot reveal to you..what God only wants YOU to know. Understand this. Someone cannot do this for you. You must free yourself through God and the redeeming power of the blood of Christ. DO NOT take MY word for it...open your bible and read it for yourself. BREAK OUT of this thinking that says someone else must validate what God already has. You don't need to the world to validate who you are because God has punched your ticket! When He created you -- He deemed you worthy to live and prosper. He created you for His purpose. He put breath in your body not to GIVE your life meaning but because your life HAS meaning! You cannot quantify His will! It is not something we, in our limited perception, could possibly understand. I am deciding to rid myself of these labels and resolve to acknowledge a simple yet profound truth...I am a child of God, His divine creation. He can deliver you from ANYTHING because NONE of those things are YOU...regardless of how real or natural or strong the pull is...the temptation is...how good or right it may feel at the time..God is ABLE....

Whatever it is you long to be...is not too far for God to take you! Tune into your true self and turn off the Radio. Don't listen to the world, with its deceitful tongue because it wants you to stay trapped, in bondage. BUT God is calling you OUT of captivity just as He called to Gideon. You may be the one God wants to champion the cause for His people but these labels you've attained over the years are making you think worthless or incapable. You alone are NOT capable but you have a power with you. When you decide to do what God has designed you to do..you have a strength that cannot be compared to any other. God is with you and you can do it! We can do it! It may not be easy but since when does any slave master let his slave go free without a fight? Any captor just open the doors for his captives to wonder off? God will fight with us! Bye world and what you think of me! I am who my Father says I am! I am free!! Breaking out!!

No comments:

Post a Comment